Monday, April 12, 2010

Who said I can't touch Mission Peak?


Well, I have this habit of proving myself to be what I claim, when somebody challenges me. So thats what happened when my uncle said I can't hike all the way to the Mission peak and I did it. Its this mountain hiking place in Milpitas. My uncle hikes the place with his pals every Saturday. I am an outdoorsy person. But my uncle had hard time believing it and challenged me to touch the peak this sunday(April 11th, 2010). Hence started one of my memorable experience.

I used to go trekking every summer when I visit here while I was in undergrad. But that was just simple not-so-steep mountain climb. This one was longer and steeper than the usual place in Los Altos. We reached the place on time and started climbing. It was steep right from the foot of the mountain. To be honest initially it was tough, but not something I can't handle. We saw a "big" rabbit sleeping on the grass near the trail, light drizzle and so many beautiful scenes as we hiked. The peak of this experience is the peak itself. We couldn't have picked a day with such worse weather. Though it was so mild and fun at the bottom as we reached peak, wind was very strong. It literally pushed us through in some places, I am not exaggerating. The peak was so beautiful and was worth the pain and cold. The fun part was when we started climbing down. It was more difficult than climbing up because it was very difficult to put a break. If you loose a minute of your body control and let your legs loose you will snowball down to the bottom of the mountain, well may be not in good shape because the trail bends in place!!

It took 3 hours for the climb but as I said, it was all worth it. Now, my family agrees I am an outdoorsy person. I am planning to continue this awesome hiking every weekend in this summer!! But I seriously hope the wind becomes weaker and it is not so cold in the coming weeks.

P.S: I touched the Mission Peak proof is the picture above.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

where are you in the picture??
Without that how can i believe that you have reached the top??

Suji said...

You know what I was right in middle of the picture, but the wind blew me over to the side and my fingers that you see in the picture was the only support that held me on to the top :)